Tuesday 25 September 2012

Gmar Chatimah Tovah

L'Shanah Tovah to all of my Jewish readers!

To my non-Jewish readers, today is Yom Kippur. It began at 6:38pm this evening and will end tomorrow evening at 7:37pm (London times). For those who are unaware, I've posted briefly about Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur here but I'll go into a bit more detail now (however, not too much. Far more intelligent people have described it much better on the interwebs already)

Yom Kippur, commonly referred to as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for Jewish people. The day represents an opportunity to repent for all the sins committed in the previous year and is a time to ask forgiveness. It is marked by most Jews (including myself) with a 25-hour fast. Other restrictions include refraining from bathing, perfumes and wearing leather shoes, amongst other things.

It is an incredibly important day for all involved, and a difficult day. I may not be at my best today, but I'll try to fire on all cylinders.

May I wish you all a deep and meaningful Yom Kippur.

No comments:

Post a Comment