Wednesday 22 August 2012

A person's a person, no matter how small

It's a mild summer's evening, and I'm sitting at home waiting for the Lurch to finish his first proper day at his new job (congrats baby!) whilst forcing myself to not open that beautiful looking bottle of wine sitting over there staring at me. Instead of forcing myself to write proper articles that actually make me money, I've decided to sit down and watch Horton Hears A Who! on FilmFour.

I'm sitting here watching Horton Hears A Who! (exclamation mark is absolutely necessary) and soaking up every glorious moment as if I were five years old. I've realised that, scary as it may seem, or perhaps even as weird as it may seem, that Dr Seuss has well and truly moulded me into the individual that I am.

Much like my childhood obsession with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (which prompted me to once try and fit through an actual rabbit hole aged five. Result? Broken nose and several bruises to the face area) I worshipped every weird word that came from Dr Seuss as a child. I still have several of the Seuss books that I devoured as a child, and have lovingly replaced the ones that got lost along the way to adulthood.

I implore each and every one of you - no matter how old or young, how silly or structured you are - to head down to the nearest library or book shop or DVD place and buy or rent a Dr Seuss book or movie. But preferably a book. It doesn't matter which one (although I recommend The Lorax). Just read it. Every single page.

I promise you that you will love every second of it. And you might even learn a thing or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment